Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Wednesday 29 October 2014

UDL ... thinking about how I learn

As part of our MDTA session today, we explored the educational framework of Universal Design for Learning.

We were presented with multiple means of researching this topic and it was extremely interesting to hear from my fellow MDTA learners as to how they approached the learning - we all went about it differently, despite beginning presented with a scaffolded framework of information.  I've always thought I was a kinesthetic learner, in that I feel I learn best with a hands on 'doing' approach.  Today however, I opted for a more lecture style presentation, which was a combination of auditory and visual, rather than the more kinesthetic approach, which supports many learning theories that we learn through a combination of all three approaches.



During my research I found a number of visual representations which I found particularly connected to my developing understanding of UDL.



As part of our session we shared examples of UDL that we have incorporated into our teaching practice this year.  I found it extremely valuable to do this as a means of reflecting on my practice, and relating the opportunities I've given my learners to this framework, as well as hearing examples from other MDTAs.  


No comments :

Post a Comment