Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Sunday 15 February 2015

Explain Everything ... powerful learning again!

During this week I introduced Explain Everything to my learners during our maths lessons.  First we started with inserting a photo - learners had already had plenty of opportunities to practice this over the first two weeks of school, so were easily scaffolded into taking a photo and resizing it into the Explain Everything screen.  We moved onto multiple photos in the same project by creating a new slide.

A learners photo, resized on the Explain Everything screen

Similar to last year, my learners are not able to recognise the numbers 1 - 10, despite many being able to count to 10!  We therefore need to spend significant time on recognising these numbers and I introduced the number ordering to 10 project with a small group.  We completed it several times as a whole group before I had them work on it individually, while still at the teaching table.

Towards the end of the lesson I introduced the recording feature so I could capture how the learners were doing.  Again, this was highly scaffolded and they are definitely not ready to do this independently yet, but it is great to have my first recorded work example from a learner!


No comments :

Post a Comment