Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a fourth year teacher working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. I'm teaching in a Year 3 class using iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I've proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and last year a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Friday, 10 April 2015

A Modern Learning Environment

After my first term in my own class, one of my Beginning Teacher goals for Term 2 is to redesign my classroom for the 1:1 environment.  Increasingly, my learners want to use their iPads on the floor, or away from the desks and it would be great to have a space that is more accommodating of the 1:1 learning environment.  As an additional challenge, I want to bring some colour into the classroom, and make the space a more inviting, vibrant environment, to invigorate and inspire my five year olds - just a small goal for the term :)

So, without further ado - the "before" photos!  Its always good to have something to "compare"!  Notice the blue walls, and blue carpet - lots of blue :)  (NB:  Furniture is slightly away from the walls in this photo for end of term cleaning.





Today was stage one in the redesign process - attack the walls :)  I hate heights and didn't really enjoy the hours spent up the ladder today, but I'm happy with the result  -  its still a work in progress as I have more displays to add yet (it always takes longer than you think!)



Next step - rearranging the layout of the classroom, including moving the tables and adding a few pieces of different furniture and some accessories!  I'm really looking forward to seeing what feedback I get from my learners next term!




2 comments :

  1. Hi Karen
    As always great to get your current reflections, sound like Term 2 will be a real buzz. I found the biggest challenge was to put my eyes at the level of the learner - that's where they see most things. Enjoy the rest of the 'break'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Innes! I'm lucky in that being short, I'm closer to my learners height - having said that I have almost zero wall space at ground level which is an added challenge. I have another week before school is back and a few more ideas that I'm working on. I'm really hoping for some "WoW" from my 5 year olds when they see the new space - time will tell :) Thanks again for reading (and recommending) my blog - I really enjoy blogging but its great to get feedback too :)

      Delete