Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Monday 27 July 2015

Launching into Maths

Sometimes I feel with such a huge focus on reading and writing that maths doesn't get the time it deserves in my timetable.  I'm extremely aware of this and am trialling a more flexible timetable this term, where if I finish with maths, I back that up the next morning by starting with maths.  This ensures that the learning we did the previous day is fresh in the learners minds and I've noticed that the learners have connected with it immediately.

Groups that I'm not seeing first up are able to continue with their Explain Everything activity from the previous day with only a brief scaffold so by 9am we're all fully engaged and learning.  This also enables me to make good use of the teacher aide time in my classroom with my special needs learner while he is fresh and able to totally focus on the task at hand.

While its early days, last week has encouraged me to continue with this for at least another week or two, in order to see if I continue to get increased engagement.  The use of the visual timetable on my wall ensures that the learners know what they are doing when and they have adapted quickly to this small change.  If anything, they have shown more focus across the core curriculum subjects with this variety in timetabling.  I look forward to seeing if this pattern continues in the coming weeks!

Some examples of the DLOs created as we learn subtraction in Room 19:

Anthony

Hannah



Aniqua

No comments :

Post a Comment