Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Wednesday 20 January 2016

Adding audio files to Google Sites

As I start working on my Class Site for this year, I wanted to incorporate some audio files for my learners to listen to, without having to download them onto their devices.  I've created a Listening Post page in my site, and plan to add titles each week for learners to choose from.

As the Google Audio Player gadget is no longer available, I had to find an alternative gadget to use.  This website has proved extremely useful and in order to use the gadget, insert it by URL from:

https://sites.google.com/site/basler45678/home/html5-audio-player.xml


Importantly, the .wav or .mp3 files that you are wanting to embed on your site must be uploaded to your site first.  You can do this by uploading the file(s) as an attachment to any page or by using a "Filing Cabinet" page which is what I've chosen to do.  All my .mp3 files have been uploaded to this File Cabinet page (use the Add File option, not Add from Google Drive) and then embedded into my site.  

This screen casting steps through the process using the File Cabinet page method.



6 comments :

  1. Many thanks Karen - Very easy to follow instructions, and I've started to set up a similar page for my Year 1 class. (Takes some time, but you get a bit faster as you get more practice!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspiring writings and I greatly admired what you have to say , I hope you continue to provide new ideas for us all and greetings success always for you..Keep update more information..agree with school prospectus uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still working and incredibly useful. My students used Sites for their Arts Award portfolios a couple of years ago, but then Google deleted the old audio gadget so within a few months none of their audio worked - ugh.

    Now my new students can use this gadget to put proper audio links into their work - hurrah!

    Thanks Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome to hear, so thanks for your comment. Technology is constantly changing so nice to hear that some of the old tricks are still useful to some!

      Delete
  4. Vielen Dank für die Anleitung. Ich bin vorher fast verzweifelt ein mp3 Player in Google Sites einzufügen, bin eben kein "Nerd". Benutzen den Player jetzt um Hörproben unserer Coverband zu "streamen".

    Danke Frank B.

    Thank you for the instructions. I'm almost desperate to insert an mp3 player into Google Sites, I'm not a "nerd". Use the player now to stream samples of our cover band.

    Thanks Frank B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice infromation. Thanks for sharing this tips.Audio gadgets

    ReplyDelete