Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Wednesday 4 October 2017

Digital Citizenship and Safety

As a teacher in a digital classroom I totally understand the importance of digital citizenship, but it's always good to brush up on your understanding, even if its just a reminder of what you already know.   Earlier this week I completed the Google for Education Digital Citizenship and Safety Course

The course includes five units, followed by a short quiz to test your understanding (all completely free): 

  • Teaching students about internet safety and privacy:  including what makes a strong password, two factor authentication, and privacy settings
  • Online safety: securing your mobile device, public and private Wi-Fi, avoiding harmful downloads on your smartphone
  • Savvy searching: helping evaluate the credibility of online information sources to distinguish between legitimate and dubious sources 
  • Staying safe from phishing scams: how to recognise potential scams, how to check if a web page is encrypted, and what to do if you encounter online scams
  • Manage your online reputation: why does privacy matter and how to identify and report inappropriate behaviour
After taking the course and completing each quiz, you receive a recognition badge as well as a link to download Lesson Plans to use in your own classroom.  I'd really recommend spending the time to review your understanding of digital citizenship, as well as using the resources to remind your students.  Teaching safe use of the internet is a necessity in today's classroom, and its never too often to reinforce this with your learners.



1 comment :

  1. Hi Karen. I have just been reading through your blog and seen this. Such an amazing resource. I look forward to spending some time this week reviewing my understanding of digital citizenship. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete