Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Tuesday 20 May 2014

Highlights of our journey so far

Michelle and I presented at staff meeting yesterday about our journey so far with the pilot of iPads as 1:1 devices with our Year 0/1 class.

To begin our presentation, we played this Ted Talk which underscores one of the things we work hard to do in Class 20:

"Our job is to encourage students to be creators not consumers"

We put together an extensive Explain Everything project (over 50 pages) by combining many of the projects we've created over the past 14 weeks, so the staff could see some of the learning that has been happening in our classroom.  During the presentation Michelle explained some of the many reasons we had behind different projects and explained why we'd created the activities we did.  We also continually emphasised how great it is to be able to "hear what children are thinking" even if they are working independently.








No comments :

Post a Comment