Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Sunday 15 March 2015

Pushing forward with H.O.T. activities

The weeks of the term are flying by and with only a few weeks until the first break I'm realising how valuable time is in the classroom and how hard it is to cram everything into a learning week.  With three new learners arriving this week I took the opportunity to reinforce the routines I'd already implemented with the rest of my learners as well as introduce my new learners to the iPads in a much smaller group.  This gave me a great opportunity for the rest of the class to work on a second Wanted activity.

Much like the first week, we did it together first as a whole class, but this week rather than support the learners with their recording, I left them to work on this independently while I worked with the new learners.  Some did try to tell me they were finished before they'd recorded - this is where I really love Explain Everything as you can tell immediately that they haven't recorded.  I uploaded all the projects to listen to and look at later - thank you Hapara Teacher Dashboard - I can do that from the comfort of home!

Already, I'm noticing a definitely improvement in both the drawing skills, writing on lines and the oral language many of the learners are using - and that is only on the second opportunity to use the template.  I can see the benefits already of adding this template to existing Explain Everything reading projects next term!


The bear was hungry and he stole my, he stole my fish.


The bear made me laugh when he gave the white bear the fish and the black bear the fish.

No comments :

Post a Comment