Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Wednesday 17 April 2019

Auckland Summit - Playgrounds

A new feature of the Auckland Summit is the Playground session.  This is an hour of short presentations on a range of topics.  This blog post is a summary of them.

Literacy with Google - Toni Westcott

Some inspiring ideas and ways to use literacy in the classroom.  I really enjoyed this 12 minutes - some ideas I need to adapt for my learners:

  • Language feature example (with photos)
  • Narrative shared writing examples - using Google Slides so students can look back and review
  • Pick a path books (or quizzes) 


Amazing Race with Google Earth - Rachel Duckworth


A great way to create an activity which is cross-curricular and engaging for students.  Link to session notes:


Lego - Problem Solving - Aorere College Students

A fun interactive session racing other teachers to make bridges or towers - unfortunately my tower fell down before the photo so this photo doesn't really do it justice.


Hemingway App

Copy text into this great app and have your writing analysed and see what improvements could me made to your writing.





No comments :

Post a Comment