Welcome to my blog! I'm Karen Belt, a Deputy Principal, working at Lynmore Primary School in Rotorua, New Zealand. In the past I have taught Years 0 - 4 and used 1:1 iPads to engage and motivate learners and improve student achievement. This blog documents my teaching and leadership journey and my learning processes with iPads in the classroom. I am a Google Certified Educator #SYD17 and I'm proud of having been a member of the inaugural Manaiakalani Digital Teaching Academy(MDTA) program and a Spark Manaiakalani Innovative Teacher (MIT) and an inaugural Manaiakalani Google Class OnAir teacher.

Sunday 18 August 2019

Couch PD - More Hive Summits

This weekend I had the opportunity to catch up on some Professional Development which I had "snoozed"* in my email over the past fortnight.

The presenter I watched today was Lisa Johnson - someone I already followed on Twitter and had heard speak previously.   This session was on productivity, something we all struggle with from time to time.  The key messages from the session were:




  • There is no “One Size Fits All” for Productivity 
  • Being mindful of balance is key 
  • To get started, you need to identify goals It’s important to notice that macro goals are composed of micro goals 
    •  Ask yourself: 
      •  What do you want to do more of? 
      •  What do you want to do less of? 
      •  What do you want to finish? 
      •  What do you want to do better?
  • Visually tracking habits helps to stay on track
  • Failure is small mistakes repeated daily 
  • Determine your “Value Buckets” 
    • Choose the three values that are the most important and relevant to you  
  • We live in an era of a lot of distractions - try to minimise these by setting time aside to get through your to-do list
  • A “Brain Dump” can help to be efficient 
  • Being mindful and realistic with your time will help you to be successful 
  • Know what you value -  It is easy to goal-set and to work toward a goal if you have identified what you’re working towards 
  • Recognize that time with your family is your most important time 
  • Email is an inefficient tool - find a system to address sending/receiving emails


* the snooze feature of Gmail is a feature I used frequently to ensure that emails or work that I can't deal with till a later date is removed from my inbox and pops back up on the selected day for me to action!

No comments :

Post a Comment